Jan 3, 2008

Buuurrrrr!!!!!

I could have sworn I lived in Georgia. You know, the state directly above the Sunshine State! There's just no other way to say it. It's fucking cold outside, my friends.

This all began around Monday. We took Sadie and Chris' mom to the park for a walk. Though sunny, the wind was biting my ass off as I strolled along in my big Stay Puft Marshmallow coat, hood over my head. Sadie ran along, every breath visible. Chris' mom even commented that she looked like a smoker.

It's times like these when I realize just how drafty our house is. The poor thing was so ignored by the previous owners that we have spent more time fixing bigger things and leaving the cracks as they are. Additional insulation needs to be added to the attic and possibly under the floor in the crawl space (if that's possible and OK to do... hmm, note to self). And both doors have a gush of air coming in around them. But the big kicker is our heating unit. Now, the unit is working but it also has a furnace that has a gas back-up for when it gets really cold (aka right now). Said back-up has not been providing any back-up all winter. Until now, it hasn't been a big deal, but with the temperature outside at about 12 degrees, it's kind of a big deal. So here we go, calling the heat and air guys again. They got lots of money from us this summer when the AC gave us problems (first the blower, then the coolant leaking out). I think it's a conspiracy. I think they clipped some wire or did something to the unit the last time they visited in the summer in order to be able to come back out in the winter. I hate being at the mercy of repairmen. I may have to become an air conditioning and heating specialist... yeah right!

This morning, when I pulled my arm out from under our down comforter to turn the alarm clock off, I was immediately hit with about a 15- to 20- degree difference. "Yeah, like I'm getting out of bed," I thought. After calling Sadie up to cuddle (poor dog, her ears were cold!), I hurried out of bed and to the shower. Tile floors are beautiful, but they are like ice in times like these. Maybe this is really all Chris' doing. It has been a lot more nipply around the house lately! Ha! Just had to throw that in there!

Then I had the bright idea to walk down to the Bean'ry for some coffee at work this morning and convinced my boss to come. I'm surprised I still have a job, to be honest with you. I thought our faces were going to fall off!

Now, I know what you're thinking. It could be worse, and that's true... for Colorado! But that's why I live in Georgia! While all you mofos are complaining about the heat in July, I'm a little bit uncomfortable. Blame it on my days in Florida or my low blood pressure, but frankly, I just HATE BEING COLD!!!

And thus concludes the bitching...

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! I laughed out loud at this, but then my face froze because it is freaking freezing in my office. It's not pretty. Damn you, Meaghan!

Chris said...

It's officially 55 in the house right now. I've got on two pairs of socks, corduroy pants and two shirts underneath a fleece pullover. Guess what? Still cold.

That my job consists of sitting at a desk does not help the problem. I might be forced to take breaks and clean house or something. Now that would be drastic.

Courtney said...

Thus concludes the bitching? Who do you think you're kidding, Meaghan? You've got a lot more bitchery in you.

Meaghan said...

I'd get offended... but you're right, Courtney! It makes for good blog posts!

Mickey said...

Damn, Chris! I thought we kept it cold in our place, but Courtney would never let me get away with 55. Neither would I.

Jacob said...

I love this kind of weather. I wore a light sweater (really nothing more than a thicker than normal polo type material), a T-shirt and jeans. I didn't even feel that cold. Of course it was in the low to mid 30s by the time we got out of the house, which is probably warm compared to what you had, but I like it. I wouldn't have gone and stood outside for a lengthy period without a nice jacket that had good pockets for my hand occassionally, but cold really has very little effect on me. I went out and played in the snow in my pajamas and a sweater in 18 degree weather at night in Cleveland, OH once. I was out there for a good thirty minutes. Kim seemed sad when I didn't die or at least get frostbite.

Julie said...

And yet today (1/7) it is 70 and sunny. What the hell?!